While the winter is not over yet and more snow is on the way, most of us just want to get to where we are going as fast as possible, so we can get back home or to work to warm up again!
We can use all the help we can get trying to see around corners and over the mountainous snow banks. I forgot to install my periscope before the winter started this year…do you think that will be a new feature on the 2016 cars?
So, I thought maybe we shouldn’t forget some simple winter car tips to keep us safe while driving from place to place this winter.
Since cleaning off your car has become an exhausting, almost daily ritual, don’t become complacent regarding your safety or those of your loved ones.
So here are some of my tips:
- Make sure that the tail pipe or pipes, in the case of a dual exhaust, are clear of snow & ice.
- Clear off your car roof. This is for your safety as well as the vehicles behind you.
- How often have you seen a car where the snow has slid off of the roof and is now blocking the whole rear window?
- Or even worse, the whole roof of snow or ice goes flying off onto the car behind it, totally obstructing its vision, cracking the windshield or causes an accident.
- Along the same lines, don’t forget to watch for vans or trucks traveling in front of you on the highway, because often times when the snow comes of off of those huge roofs that becomes a potential serious hazard for you!
- After clearing the snow & ice off the windows, hood, roof and trunk don’t forget to:
- Lift up your windshield wipers to unstick them from the window & make sure the washer fluid nozzles are clear.
- How about making sure your gasoline door is not frozen shut. I cannot tell you how many times customers come into the shop with this problem!
- Don’t forget to wipe off your headlights, tail lights and all marker lights making it easier for you to see and be seen by others.
- How about brushing off and scraping those car side mirrors?
- When cleaning off the back window, make sure the 3rd brake light in the middle of the window is cleared off too.
- What about cleaning off your back-up camera lens, if you are lucky enough to have one? FYI-by 2018,; all cars will be required to have back-up cameras.
- And last but not least, don’t forget to clean off your rear license plate. Just this week while I was driving on the highway the vehicle in front of me had that problem-the last thing anyone needs right now is to get a ticket for that!
So that is my partial list. Please let us know of your favorite tips, since there is always room for more great safety info.
And for the novice drivers in your family, feel free to print out this list. They can use all the help they can get!
Check Back Next Week for Winter Car Maintenance Tips, till then KEEP SMILING More Snow Is On The Way!
Don’t forget…We Are Here For You!
CONTACT US with Any Car Questions, Comments or to Schedule an Appointment via phone or [email protected]