How to Deal With Subaru Ascent CVT Issuesby Mechanics Direct March 12, 2023
Subaru has been one of the most trusted names in the automobile industry for decades, known for producing reliable, high-quality cars that are both practical and fun to drive. Even so, one of the most common problems reported by Ascent owners is related to its Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT). In this article, we’ll take a closer look at what causes these issues and what you can do to deal with them.
What is a CVT?
First, it’s essential to understand what a CVT is and how it works. In a traditional automatic transmission, the gears shift up or down as the car speeds up or slows down. On the other hand, a CVT uses a belt and pulley system to seamlessly adjust the gear ratio, providing a smooth and efficient driving experience.
While this technology has several benefits, such as improved fuel economy and reduced emissions, it also requires specific maintenance to keep it running correctly.
Common Subaru Ascent CVT Issues
The most commonly reported CVT issues in Subaru Ascent include:
- Shuddering or Jerking: This occurs when the CVT is in use, and the car starts to shake or jerk.
- Slipping Gears: If you experience a sudden loss of power while driving, it may indicate that the CVT is slipping between gears.
- Overheating: When the CVT overheats, it can cause damage to the internal components, leading to significant problems.
- Delayed Response: When you press the accelerator, the engine may hesitate before responding, indicating a problem with the CVT.
- Loud Noise: You may hear a whining noise coming from the transmission while driving, indicating a potential issue.
How to Deal With Subaru Ascent CVT Issues
If you’re experiencing any of the issues listed above, it’s essential to take action right away. Here are some steps you can take to deal with Subaru Ascent CVT issues:
- Schedule a Service Appointment: The first step in dealing with CVT issues is to schedule a service appointment with a certified Subaru dealer. They have the training and experience to diagnose and fix any problems with your vehicle.
- Follow the Maintenance Schedule: To prevent CVT issues from occurring, it’s crucial to follow the recommended maintenance schedule. This includes regular fluid changes and inspections.
- Check the Fluid Level: If you suspect that the CVT is low on fluid, check the dipstick to see if it needs topping up. However, if you’re not confident in performing this task, have a professional take care of it.
- Drive Carefully: Be mindful of how you drive your Ascent. Avoid harsh acceleration or braking, which can put extra stress on the CVT.
- Stay Informed: Keep an eye on any recalls or service bulletins related to your Ascent’s CVT. These updates can help you stay ahead of any potential issues.
How We Fix It
When a customer brings their Subaru to our mechanic with CVT issues, the first step in the diagnosis process is to run a computerized diagnostic test to identify any error codes. This test will provide important information about the transmission’s performance, including any malfunctions or mechanical failures.
Next, our mechanic will conduct a visual inspection of the transmission, looking for signs of damage or wear on the internal components. If necessary, we may also perform a road test to observe the transmission’s performance under normal driving conditions.
Once the problem has been identified, our mechanic will determine the best course of action to fix the issue, which may include replacing damaged components or performing a transmission fluid flush. Our team of experienced mechanics is equipped with the latest diagnostic tools and techniques to quickly and effectively diagnose and repair any CVT issues, ensuring that our customers can get back on the road safely and with confidence.
Dealing with Subaru Ascent CVT issues can be frustrating in and around Lowell, MA, but it’s essential to address them as soon as possible to prevent further damage. By following the recommended maintenance schedule, driving carefully, and staying informed, you can keep your Ascent running smoothly for years to come. And, if you do encounter any issues, don’t hesitate to schedule an appointment with our certified Subaru mechanics to get them resolved promptly. Call Mechanics Direct today or stop by to speak with our staff!
* Subaru Car image credit goes to: yocamon.