Main Reasons for Your Acura’s Malfunctioning Cooling Systemby Mechanics Direct December 2, 2020
Your Acura’s cooling system is one of the most important features in your car. Keeping up with the maintenance and routine care of a car like an Acura will not only ensure your car’s optimal performance, but it will also prevent system failures like problems with your engine.
When you do find that the cooling system in your Acura is malfunctioning or not working as it should, it’s important that you address the issue right away to avoid additional issues. In this article, we will discuss and consider the main reasons that your Acura’s cooling system has malfunctioned, as well as how to avoid this problem in the future.
The Signs of a Malfunctioning Cooling System
When driving an Acura, it is important to understand the various signs that can point to a cooling system malfunction. Noticing, diagnosing, and repairing a malfunctioning cooling system ahead of time can prevent many complicated and expensive vehicle repercussions such as the need for a full engine rebuild or broken radiator.
- Your Acura is Overheating: If you notice that your Acura is feeling unusually warm or smoke begins to come out of the hood of your car, this probably means your Acura is overheating. There could be a problem with your gasket or your water pump could be broken.
- Very Low Coolant Levels: Low coolant levels can be a reason that your cooling system is malfunctioning. This could indicate a problem with your radiator. Check for this issue only after your Acura has not been running for at least 30
- A Visible Coolant Leak: If you notice that your Acura is visibly leaking drops or large amounts of coolant, you will need to have this repaired to preserve your engine. Your cooling system might have sprung a leak in the pipe or main valve and will need to have a new one installed.
- Steam Coming Out from Under the Hood: If steam is coming out of your car, pull over and give your car some time to cool off. You can check the coolant level and add more after 30 minutes. If you find the coolant levels are topped off but your engine is overheating, you should have your car towed to be inspected by our professionals at Mechanics Direct.
- Sudden Bad Gas Mileage: Sudden bad gas mileage can be a sign of a few different things. While it could mean a problem with your engine or exhaust system, or it could also point directly to a malfunctioning cooling system.
- White Smoke Coming from your Exhaust: One of the worst signs of cooling system failure that you can see while driving your Acura includes large, white puffs of thick smoke coming from your exhaust. If you notice this cloud-like substance pouring from the rear of your car, stop driving and contact Mechanics Direct right away. White smoke coming from your exhaust can indicate coolant being burned in your combustion chamber. In a catastrophic case, this could mean a full engine rebuild.
How to Avoid a Malfunctioning Cooling System
At Mechanics Direct, we understand that the best way to avoid a malfunctioning cooling system involves a few simple steps. Being proactive about taking your Acura to a certified specialist is one of the best ways to prevent these types of mishaps. Another is to inspect the car regularly. In addition to flushing the coolant every 30,000 miles, make sure to look out for the following:
- leaks in the radiator
- a hole in the engine block
- leaks in the water pump or hoses
- radiator fin blockages
- radiator cap or seal cracks
- water pump belt clogs
- seal belt clogs
Mechanics Direct Will Help
Whether you are located in North Chelmsford, Chelmsford, Dracut, Tyngsborough, Westford, or Lowell, Massachusetts, the experts at Mechanics Direct here in Lowell are available to help you with all of your cooling system needs.
Our specialists understand that communication is one of the most important aspects of successful car repair and customer relationships. We are eager to answer all of your questions.
When it comes to Acuras, our decades of experience solving complex car issues will aid us in properly diagnosing your cooling system error and fix the problem with speed and precision. We look forward to earning your trust and your business.