Symptoms Associated with a Plastic Guide Rail Failure in a Mercedesby Mechanics Direct April 30, 2022
Mercedes is a German luxury brand that requires a financial commitment from purchase to maintenance and repair. The expensive nature of repairs and maintenance makes it important to entrust the car’s care to experienced technicians. Different vehicle components are susceptible to wear after an extended period of use and eventual failure.
The guide rail is one of such components that becomes susceptible to damage after a long period of use. However, like most failing components, the guide rail signals the driver of an issue by passing off some signs. Knowing the signs to look out for would go a long way in ensuring your vehicle’s reliability and longevity.
What is a guide rail and the signs of its failure?
The guide rail is the timing chain guide that ensures that the chain properly rotates and remains connected to the camshaft and crankshaft. Hence, the guide rail is essential to the continued running of the timing chain, and its failure hampers the proper functioning of the chain.
Before vehicle parts break down, they usually exhibit symptoms, notifying the driver of the problem before it becomes full-blown. Discussed below are some signs of a failed guide rail in your Mercedes.
- Shaking or vibrating sounds: When the guide rail fails, you will likely hear your Mercedes shaking or vibrating from under the hood; either the guide rail is warped or loose and tends to move too freely.
- Breaking off: When the guide rail begins to fail, it starts to chip away, and the pieces make it into the oil pan. The broken pieces of the guide rail can cause severe engine damage by contaminating the car’s oil and blocking engine oil circulation.
- Squealing tension: As time goes on, the guide rail of your Mercedes will age and begin to fail. It may lead to high-pitch sounds as belts begin to slip out of the proper rail.
- Rough running engine: The guide rail is a very important component in the engine of your Mercedes. If the guide rail fails or is about to fail, its sensors send a signal to the onboard computer. You may experience power loss while accelerating, idling, or while driving, so if you see a check engine light, please pay attention and bring your Mercedes to us right away.
Causes of a Plastic Guide Rail Failure
Although the proper maintenance of your Mercedes guide rail helps ensure its longevity, some factors could cause it to fail. These factors include:
- Excessive heat: The common cause of Mercedes guide rail failure is the excess heat within the engine. High heat can warp and melt the plastics used in your car’s guide rail.
- High speeds: Consistently driving your Mercedes at top speed exposes your guide rails to the risk of failing. Driving at high speed heightens your vehicle temperature and increases your engine’s chances of overheating. When your engine overheats, your guide rail could get damaged since it is made of plastic which doesn’t perform well under extreme heat.
- Rough roads: Rough roads, patches, excessive vibrations, rocky or rugged terrain can strain the guide rail, thereby weakening It and may even cause it to shatter unexpectedly.
- Poor maintenance: Poor maintenance habits impact your vehicle’s overall performance and longevity. The guide rail needs to be inspected by a professional from time to time to ensure that it remains in good working condition. Neglecting it could result in the sudden failure of the rail. Ensure you stick to the manufacturer’s recommended maintenance to keep the rail running smoothly.
Mechanics Direct Will Keep Your Mercedes Running Smoothly
At Mechanics Direct, we are intentional about delivering quality repairs and maintenance service. Our experienced and highly-skilled technicians take their time with each vehicle to ensure your service is performed as close to faultless precision as possible.
Our technicians are constantly updated on the latest software, factory-grade tools, and equipment. We are located in Lowell, MA and have delivered quality service to drivers in North Chelmsford, Chelmsford, Dracut, Tyngsborough, and Westford.
Whether your vehicle needs a minor or a major repair, we are more than qualified to get the job done. Please call or visit our shop with any question you may have, our expert mechanics are happy to help!
* Mercedes-Benz R 350 Car image credit goes to: Oksana Kuznetsova.